Microprocessor cores used for SOC layout are the direct descendents of Intel’s unique 4004 microprocessor. simply as packaged microprocessor ICs range generally of their attributes, so do microprocessors packaged as IP cores. even though, SOC designers nonetheless evaluate and choose processor cores the best way they formerly in comparison and chosen packaged microprocessor ICs. the large challenge with this feature procedure is that it assumes that the legislation of the microprocessor universe have remained unchanged for many years. This assumption isn't any longer valid.
Processor cores for SOC designs will be way more plastic than microprocessor ICs for board-level procedure designs. Shaping those cores for particular functions produces far better processor potency and lots more and plenty reduce approach clock charges. jointly, Tensilica’s Xtensa and Diamond processor cores represent a relations of software-compatible microprocessors protecting an exceptionally broad functionality diversity from basic keep an eye on processors, to DSPs, to 3-way superscalar processors. but all of those processors use an identical software-development instruments in order that programmers conversant in one processor within the kinfolk can simply change to another.
This publication emphasizes a processor-centric MPSOC (multiple-processor SOC) layout type formed via the realities of the 21st-century and nanometer silicon. It advocates the project of initiatives to firmware-controlled processors each time attainable to maximise SOC flexibility, lower strength dissipation, decrease the dimensions and variety of hand-built common sense blocks, lower the linked verification attempt, and reduce the general layout risk.
· a vital, no-nonsense consultant to the layout of 21st-century mega-gate SOCs utilizing nanometer silicon.
· Discusses ultra-modern key concerns affecting SOC layout, according to author's many years of private adventure in constructing huge electronic structures as a layout engineer whereas operating at Hewlett-Packard's laptop machine department and at EDA pc pioneer Cadnetix, and masking such issues as an award-winning expertise journalist and editor-in-chief for EDN journal and the Microprocessor Report.
· Explores conventionally authorized obstacles and perceived limits of processor-based process layout after which explodes those synthetic constraints via a clean outlook on and dialogue of the distinct talents of processor cores designed in particular for SOC design.
· Thorough exploration of the evolution of processors and processor cores used for ASIC and SOC layout with a glance at the place the has come from, and the place it truly is going.
· Easy-to-understand causes of the services of configurable and extensible processor cores via a close exam of Tensilica's configurable, extensible Xtensa processor center and 6 pre-configured Diamond cores.
· the main complete evaluate to be had of the sensible facets of configuring and utilizing a number of processor cores to accomplish very tough and impressive SOC cost, functionality, and gear layout goals.